Tuesday, March 03, 2020

Star Magnolia

I was inspired to paint this after seeing another artist post her painting on Facebook.  I do have a couple of photos of this interesting magnolia, but rather than try to find them among my disorganized files, I just googled it and found one that didn't appear to be copyrighted.   The painting that inspired me was done in only French ultramarine blue and burnt sienna, with a couple of minor touches of raw sienna and sap green, and was very striking,  so those are the colors I used.   I am going to try to use this as a demo for my senior class tomorrow.  I want them to see what can be done with a limited palette of my two workhorse colors.   11 x 15 on Arches

2 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

These blooms are just lovely. The previous one is too. Would like to be in a class of yours. You should move to Texas. :-)

Michelle Himes said...

Thanks, Jo. I'm glad you like them. As for moving to Texas, not likely. LOL But if you ever move to Northern New Jersey, I'll make room for you in my class. :)