Saturday, May 10, 2008

Bouquet on Masa





I painted this one from life on a quarter sheet of Masa paper, using my favorite crinkle technique. I did something different this time, in that I usually adhere the Masa to a piece of watercolor paper first, and this time I didn't. Supposedly it is better to mount first because the paper is very delicate when wet, but it was only a quarter sheet and it was fine. I actually liked the feel of painting on it unmounted and may stick with unmounted sheets unless I am working much larger.

5 comments:

Joan said...

I didn't check your blog in a few days and you've posted so much. How on earth did you work on the masa paper without adhering it? This came out great. Nice colors and edges.

Michelle Himes said...

I just spread it out on my board and painted. I don't know if it would work with a larger piece - it might tear - but the quarter sheet was fine. I do think I would need to be careful of it when matting because it would probably tear if I try to remove the hinging tape.

"JeanneG" said...

Do you glue it to something after you paint it? If so, what do you use? It looks great but really delicate.

Michelle Himes said...

The usual thing is to adhere it to a piece of watercolor paper, usually with either Matte Medium, Elmers School Glue diluted with a little water, or YES Paste. Some artists do this before painting, and some after the painting is done. I generally do it before painting, but I did not have my matte medium with me at the time. If I decide to mat this one, I would probably adhere it to the w/c paper first.

Ai said...

Beautiful effects. So lovely. I live in Thailand, I believe we produce the similar type of paper. You really inspire me to try some of those papers.