Friday, July 11, 2008

Tree Peony



In May I took a workshop with Janet Walsh on painting florals as still lifes. In one of the first exercises Janet had us hold a flower in our hands and paint it. I chose this beautiful dark magenta tree peony. Later in the workshop we got to try some liquid acrylics for backgrounds, and I added a yellow green background. I thought it needed a more interesting background, so yesterday I toned down the yellow green with some greens, blues and pinks, and added more leaves.

3 comments:

Joan said...

Beautiful peony!!! I like it with the soft colors you added to the background. Did you work more on any of the other pieces from the class?

Michelle Himes said...

Thanks. I was happy with the softer colors in the background, and I added a few more leaves too. I'm working on one other workshop painting, but haven't finished yet.

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Michelle,

This is my favorite of these three latest paintings. The colors are rich, yet not vibrant or harsh, which I love to see. Great negative painting.

Susan