Thursday, October 01, 2015

Back to Basics

I've been busy this week going back to basics, painting small simple watercolors.  These are practice for the demos I will be doing while teaching a beginner watercolor class at our local senior center.  So far, my ideas for lessons consist of autumn leaves-(basic wash, glazing, mingling colors), a graded value landscape (glazing, painting evergreen trees), and autumn trees (basic tree shapes, mingling colors, scumbling, painting thin lines).  I'm trying to keep it simple, teach a new concept each week, and hopefully send the students home with a successful little painting. 

4 comments:

Dawn said...

I would LOVE to take a class from you! Too bad I'm not in your area...but someday when I'm more senior I hope I can find someone teaching. Watercolors are tough to figure out but so much fun.

Michelle Himes said...

Thanks for looking and commenting, Dawn. This will be a first teaching gig for me, and I hope it goes well. Watercolors can be tough, but that's part of the fun. I hope you can find a class near you.

Joan Tavolott said...

I think you have some nice pieces to show them. Hopefully this week things will go better than the wash did last week. I hope some of the students are doing some practice at home.

Michelle Himes said...

Thanks, Joan. I hope they are practicing at home too.