Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Drawing


Okay, so it's not watercolor. I just had to share this one. A good drawing is the foundation for a good watercolor. I was not happy with my drawing skills, so when I saw an online drawing class starting on WetCanvas, (www.wetcanvas.com) I decided to try it. Our first assignment was to draw something that we felt was too difficult for us. We are now up to lesson #26, and in this lesson we re-visited our first drawing and did it again. This is the drawing I did today of my grandson, Matthew, at about a year and a half old. Forgive me if I don't post the "before" picture. I learned a lot in these 26 lessons about being patient, really looking, and starting very lightly and progressing until I was happy with the drawing, and then pushing the darks. I'm quite happy with this one and discovered that I like pencil drawing not just as a preparation for watercolor, but as a medium of its own.

8 comments:

peddidle said...

Lol, no, sorry, I can't forgive you if you didn't post the before picture. ;) That drawing is adorable! Too bad I didn't know about those lessons sooner... Do you know if they're going to start them from the beginning again at some point?

Michelle Himes said...

The drawing 101 class is ongoing, so you can just start at lesson 1 anytime you wish. Here is the link for the lessons.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276503

Michelle

peddidle said...

Hmm, I don't think my last comment went through ... I said, "Thanx! I'm reading through lesson 1 right now." :)

peddidle said...

Hey, I just came across your other drawing. Awesome progress!!

lovedesign said...

Very cool. I love it!

Anonymous said...

This pencil drawing is absolutely wonderful! Wish I had the patience for this. I barely have patience for watercolor even though it's a fast medium...Yvonne

मनीष अग्रवाल said...

excellent!

Tom G said...

Great drawing and great link!