I don't usually include my failures on my blog, but these failures were so much fun to do that I decided to share them.
Last spring my sis and I took a collage workshop right next door to where Jean Grastorf was doing a pouring workshop. We peeked in a few times and everyone was having so much fun that we decided we had to try it. Last week we both did a few small "pours". Mine were on 7 1/2 x 11 Arches, kept small so that we could easily pour into a foil roasting pan. The colors were Winsor Red, Winsor Blue and Winsor Yellow.
This technique involves a lot of masking, something I usually avoid doing. It's supposed to produce really vibrant, glowing colors. Well, my first pour created a really pretty mixture, but as I masked and poured subsequent layers I ended up with DULL. In my estimation, my colors are dull, my whites too white and blobby, my lights are too dark and my darks are too light, even after several attempts to darken. A lot of work for not so satisfactory results. I suppose I could add brushwork to these and improve them, but I think I will save them as learning aides for my next try. Yes, I will try it again.